Saturday, October 10, 2009

Locked In by Marcia Muller

I've been reading Sharon McCone mysteries for years, so I was very happy to see another one published. Marcia Muller always has a fast paced story, where Sharon's brains are her biggest safeguard against danger and death - and even then that doesn't always work.

The premise of this story scares me to death! Sharon is shot when she tries to enter her office late one night, and the bullet lodges at the top of her spine - and renders her helpless. She can't speak, she can't move, and it's a while before they realize her brain is still functioning and she's awake and aware. The prognosis isn't good.

All her husband and her staff can do it try to solve the cases she was working on because they feel one of them must have been the cause of her injury. She can't offer them input like she usually does, so they have to determine themselves what she might suggest they do.

Not being able to communicate would scare me to death, and it certainly effects all the characters in the book.

If you'd like my ARC of this mystery, leave a comment here on my blog, and send me an email at info@ NOSPAM bookfaerie.com (take out the spaces and NOSPAM) with your name and address and why you would like to win it. I'll be giving it away in about a week.

4 comments:

Pam said...

As a speech language pathologist, the ability to communicate is of the utmost importance to me. Locked in syndrome is so incredibly difficult to work with, I can't even begin to imagine how horrifying it would be to try to live with. I'm sending you an e-mail now.

melacan at hotmail dot com

SusanB said...

I have not read Marcia Muller before but this sounds like a great book.
susan.byerly@comcast.net

Ellen said...

I haven't heard of Marcia Muller but this sounds like a really good mystery!

Rae said...

I've read a few of her books, you know I'm always looking for new authors. I like her and this sounds like a good read.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...