Monday, January 11, 2010

Angel and Apostle by Deborah Noyes

I received this ARC from Unbridled Books and wasn't altogether sure of my expectations. I'd never read The Scarlet Letter, but the thought of a book written about her life after she'd been scorned by the Puritans had to be interesting. And it was!

I can't imagine being ostracized by an entire community. Or raising a child who cannot go school or interact with other children because of your "sin".

While she never talks to her daughter about it, the daughter gradually learns the story from other people. Her mother is really not at fault, but she keeps earning the rage of the community again and again...

Pearl, the daughter, is content with her wild life and her imaginative ways. But even that can't last forever.

The ending surprised me in some ways and, in other ways, turned out to be what I was expecting.

It reads smoothly, takes you back to the days of Puritan judgement and hatred, and intrigues your mind. What more could you ask?

If you'd like my copy of this ARC, leave a comment here on the blog and then email me at info NOSPAM @bookfaerie.com (remove spaces and NOSPAM) with you name and address and why you'd like to read it. I'll pick a winner in about a week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOunds like an intersting story!

SusanB said...

I have read The Scarlet Letter and enjoyed it. This book sounds great! Would love to read it.
susan.byerly@comcast.net

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...