Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Humpty Dumpty and Friends by Oleg Lipchenko

I have fond memories of the nursery rhymes I read as a child.  They were fun to read and entertaining.  The subtitle of this book is:  Nursery Rhymes for the Young at Heart.  That's me!

Tundra Books has published another very nice quality children's picture book and shared a copy with me for review.  Oleg Lipchenko is a member of the Ukrainian Union of Artists.  He now lives in Toronto and is a gallery painter.  I previously reviewed his illustrated Alice in Wonderland edition (also available from Tundra Books) and I enjoyed his artwork in that book.  This book is no exception.  His style is all his own.

I really enjoy the rhymes he chose for this book.  Some were very familiar to me, some I'd never read before.  His illustrations look old fashioned and that's just the mood you want to set to appreciate the age and words of the rhymes.

Here's a sample rhyme: 

Three wise men of Gotham
Went to sea in a bowl;
If the bowl would have been stronger
My song had been longer.

I have also noticed that Mr. Lipchenko is on Facebook.  He and I are friends now and I will be able to keep up with his book and art news.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes rhymes.  Whether you are young or old, this book will appeal to you.  Check out your local bookstore for your very own copy.

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...