Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Zoe was Cara's best friend.  When her family moved, Cara really missed her.  She was very happy to see her return - at first...

Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers sent me an eGalley to review (thank you).  This book will be published in hardcover in January.  It's for ages 14 and up.

This book chilled me.  I couldn't have stopped reading it if I wanted to - it was too gripping, the story too frantic.  I had to know how it was going to end.

Cara is in high school and is facing the usual bantering and bullying of school days.  She's not happy about, but she's dealing with it.  The author does an excellent job of drawing you into the story.  It's just a normal tale about a young girl growing up and maturing into a young lady.  Until Zoe shows up...

Zoe has run away from home, won't talk about where she came from or what happened, and lives in Cara's bedroom.  Cara is happy to see her, but Zoe is different.  She finds out how different as time goes on.

When girls in Cara's class suddenly show up dead or missing, the plot gets even more interesting.

I won't give away the ending, but I can highly recommend this book.  I never suspected the murderer.  I had to wait for a while to write this review because the story touched me.  It's a good read - get a copy for your young adult or feel free to read it yourself.  I'm going to watch for a copy for my own personal library.  It's well worth reading again.

No comments:

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...