Friday, December 24, 2010

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

If a mathematical genius chooses to help disguise a murder done in passion, do the police have any hope at all of solving the crime?

Minotaur Books will be publishing the first US edition of this book in February.  I was lucky enough to snag an ARC from Library Thing (thank you to both of you).  Mr. Higashino's Japanese edition sold over 800,000 the first year it was published, and they've already made a movie about it.  This book also has an exclusive audio excerpt bound in the book.

There are two factors in this book that make it a great read:  two fine minds and an unrecognized love interest.  The story is analytical, but the woman who is central in the story has no idea the math teacher fancies her.  The complex emotions add to the mystery and the plot is intense.  That which seems obvious may not be true.  However, once the police have found a solution, why would they look any longer?

Mr. Higashino's characters are enigmatic, solid, and strong.  The story reads fluently and you yearn to see how it's all going to work out.  I had no clue how this story was going to end, and that made it even more enjoyable to read.

I enjoy reading mysteries from other countries because it lets me "see" the landscape and learn about life in those lands.  I especially liked the mind games that Mr. Higashino put in his plot.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good, meaty mystery.  There's enough in this book to keep your attention riveted, and the ending is most ironic.  You won't forget it.

If you'd like my copy of this ARC, please leave a comment here on the blog and send me an email info @ bookfaerie.com (remove spaces) giving me your name and address and telling me why you'd like to read it.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I would love to read this. Please add my name to the drawing.

Debbie

SusanB said...

Sounds like a great book. Would love to win!

Judith G. said...

I would love to read this book. Hope I win!

Benjamin Impossible by Timothy Root

It’s NOT EASY being the smartest 12-year-old in the world! Benjamin Impossible is a genius, kung fu master, and winner of the Franklin Count...