Friday, March 30, 2012

Good night, laila tov by Laurel Snyder

Let's go on a camping trip together and learn about a Jewish tradition called "tikkun olam" (repairing the world).

Random House Children's Books sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  I have read Ms. Snyder's work before, so I was looking forward to reviewing this one.  It has been published and you can get a copy of it at your local bookstore.

Jui Ishida is the illustrator and her graphics emphasize the close family feeling and the peace this family finds in nature.  It made me think of camping trips I did with my parents. The title is a mix of English and Hebrew, both sets of words meaning the same thing. 

I like the fact that this author suggest you give something back to nature to make up for all we've taken from it.  This family is planting young trees that they will be able to admire in future trips.  My family picked up all the trash (sometimes taking it home for disposal) and pulled apart seed pods to help the plants grow (or to feed the birds).

Getting in touch with nature is a good thing.  Why not read this book and plan your own camping trip?  Nature will make you relax...

Happy reading.

No comments:

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...