Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Sound of a Scream by John Manning

Point Woebegone is a long way from the nunnery where Daphne May grew up.  She's gone there to work as a governance  for the eight year old son of Mr. Witherspoon.  The house is huge, the occupants are strange, and she has a terrible feeling of foreboding.  She should listen to her feelings...

Kensington Publishing sent me an ARC of this book for review.  The book has been published, so check with your local bookstore to get a copy.

This story has the taste of a gothic romance novel:  huge old mansion, family members waiting for the old man to die, and murder in the shadows.  Daphne is very innocent when she arrives but that changes quickly.  She must figure out what is going on before it kills her.

Mr. Manning's plot is devious and well thought out.  Daphne is seeing ghosts, or so they tell her.  The deaths are real enough, though.  I got so involved with Daphne and her problems, I never guessed who the killer was.  That was a nice surprise.

If you would like to get my ARC, leave a comment here on my blog and then send me an email at info at bookfaerie.com with your name and address and why you'd like to read it.  I'll pick a winner in about a week.

This is a very good read with bits of horror, light romance, and a lot of warped characters.  What more do you need?

Happy reading.

2 comments:

Hazel said...

This is the sort of book I love to read.

ChristyJan said...

Warped characters, romance and suspenseful horror? Your right . . . what else do I need. Sounds like a great read!

Benjamin Impossible by Timothy Root

It’s NOT EASY being the smartest 12-year-old in the world! Benjamin Impossible is a genius, kung fu master, and winner of the Franklin Count...