Sunday, July 22, 2012

Parent's Day Today!

Open Road Media kicked off a promotion for Parent's Day this week.  I've read several of their books for review and enjoy what they are publishing for children.  This particular post is from their website and I enjoyed reading it and wanted to share it with you:

In honor of National Parents’ Day this Sunday, July 22, Open Road Media is taking a moment to celebrate story time and the read-aloud books that make this parenting ritual so magical. Each day leading up to the holiday, an Open Road Media author will share his or her favorite story time books. We'll also have some fun surprises here and there, so be sure to stay tuned!

Anna PereraKicking off our celebration, Guantanamo Boy author Anna Perera shares memories of a childhood filled with books and poetry, and talks about how anytime is a good time to read with your kids.

Books played a large part in my life when I was growing up. They were treasure chests filled with magic, adventure, and new worlds waiting to be discovered. And they were everywhere: on tables, beds, TVs. I particularly remember mum reading poetry to us four kids and though I rarely understood the true meaning, I loved the sound of the words rolling from her tongue and the way her face lit up with a variety of expressions I'd never seen before—insane grins, weird frowns, and popping eyes.

Five Minutes PeaceWhen my son was young, I read everything I could with him. We laughed over Winnie-the-Pooh and Jill Murphy's Five Minutes' Peace was a particular favourite. I read to him while he played with Legos or whatever on the floor and even when he was in the bath with me propped up against the door. It's a mistake to think we need a special time or place to read with kids.

I agree with this author.  You can read any time or all the time.  Reading is a skill children will appreciate for their entire life.  I began reading at age 3 and still read a book a day.  I'd truly be lost without them.

Not only do I agree with Ms Perera's take on books, I have to say her highlighted book choice, Five Minutes Peace, is one of the cutest children's books I've read about.  Poor Mama Elephant just wants a few minutes alone.  Did you ever try to do that with children?  They are always your shadow and generally never stop talking.  Many mom's take refuge in the bathroom and have to lock the door to keep them out.  Mrs Elephant doesn't even have that much luck...

Here is a link to the Open Road Media Blog which will show you more favorite children's books and other author's insights on books.  Open Road Media Blog

Happy Parent's Day!

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...