Friday, August 10, 2012

Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood

They are four girls, fighting cancer, taking debilitating drugs, and playing practical jokes on other people at the clinic.  They pledge friendship until death do us part...

Dutton Books sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  The book was published August 7th, so you can find a copy at your local bookstore now.

I admire Ms. Garwood's writing.  She always writes an interesting tale and I've never met a character of hers that I didn't like.  She makes her characters real with strong opinions and a sense of independence.  I always look forward to meeting the people who inhabit her next book.

Olivia is working for the IRS.  When she hears that she might be downsized out of a job shortly, she begins looking for another job.  Her job interview was nothing like any I've been to!

The potential employer was not a good fit for her and when she tries to leave, he rips the front of her dress right in the middle of the restaurant and accuses her of wearing a wire.  When his bodyguard shows up and tries to grab her, she fights back.  And all of sudden she has some help.  She's got the FBI on her side.  She didn't even know they were there.

One of my favorite parts in this book is:  "Listen, you.  Don't threaten me.  I could make your life a nightmare. I'm F...B...I."  She smiled.  "You want to talk nightmares?  I'm I...R...S."  (A few words excerpted.) I could tell I'd love Olivia.

Ms. Garwood's love interest for Olivia is a handsome FBI agent who is not only pleasing on the eye but is also smart and well-trained at defense.  (He's not the one she had words with above.)

This story is full of action, politics, greed and murder.  I really enjoyed reading it.  Olivia's quest for good and her romance override the unpleasantness of the bad guys.

If you'd like to have my copy of this ARC, please leave a comment here on my blog and email me at info at bookfaerie.com with your name and address and why you'd like to read it.

Happy reading. 

3 comments:

ChristyJan said...

Oh! I would SO love to win your copy of this book! I am a huge Julie Garwood fan! I actually watch and wait for her upcoming releases and have had this book on my wish list for several months now.

Shan said...

This book seems to have it all covered. Good story line, strong woman and how weird to have your dress ripped open at an interview. Certainly sounds interesting!!

Carol L. said...

I've been reading a few of Julie's books lately. Someone mentioned how good her books were so I'm now hooked. Thanks for this opportunity.
Carol L.
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...