Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lucretia and the Kroons by Victor LaValle

Lucretia is 12.  She has been waiting for Sunny to get home from the hospital so she can share her birthday cake with her and have a proper birthday party.  Sunny is her best friend.

Spiegal & Grau and Net Galley allowed me to download the ebook of this story for review (thank you).  It has been published, but is only available in ebook form.

This is a horror story and it is creepy.  Sunny is dying from cancer and this is the Lucretia's last adventure with her.  It's an out of this world story with human monsters that eat children, an apartment that morphes into a park, and Sunny well enough to save Lucretia from the monsters.  The ending was a real surprise to me.

I found this to be a very odd little story.  The author has a good flow to the plot and draws you in and makes you wonder how all this can be happening and why, but the ending was not my cup of tea.  It's reasonable, but not where I would have gone with the story.  However, it's Mr. LaVaelle' story, not mine.

Why don't you read it and let me know what you think?

Happy reading.



1 comment:

Shan said...

Horror and creepy NOT my cup of tea!! and with young girls...wow makes me wonder where the writer got the idea from.

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...