Thursday, September 27, 2012

Path of Beasts by Lian Tanner

I've read the two previous books in this series, The Keepers, and I enjoyed them both.  I was very pleased to see that the final book is being published on October 9th.

Random House and Edelweiss allowed me to download an ebook of this story for review (thank you).  You can buy it in ebook form on Kindle or as an audio book at your local bookstore.

When Goldie, Toadspit, Bonnie, and Mouse head home from being at sea, they find that conditions there are even worse than they were when they left.  Guardians and militia wander the city and their mortal enemy is now the Protector...

This series has been a fascinating read.  The author writes a good story full of adventure and danger with a touch of magic.  The children that fill her stories are strong, determined to do right, and brave beyond their age.  It's very easy to empathize with them.

Goldie is better person that I am.  I'd be tempted to kill the people who tried to kill me, but she manages to control her inner wolf.

This story doesn't end happily ever after for everyone, but that's because it's realistic and good and evil don't do well side by side.

My favorite animal in the story is the little white dog that fluffs around playfully and loves everybody but can change into a black beast when it needs to.  What a great secret weapon!

I was very pleased with this entire series.  If you haven't read the earlier books, I'd suggest beginning there.  Otherwise the story will be over too soon to satisfy you.

Happy reading.

4 comments:

Lian Tanner said...

Thanks so much for the very nice review, Jo Ann. It's one of the first reviews I've had for the final book in the trilogy, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Journey of a Bookseller said...

I love your stories! Do you have plans for more writing in the future?

Lian Tanner said...

I've just finished a stand-alone fantasy called "Ice Breaker", which will come out this time next year in Australia - we haven't tried it with the US publisher yet, but will do so shortly. Hopefully they will like it! Now I'm starting on a prequel trilogy - set in the times when Dan and Olga Ciavolga were children, and the museum did not exist. The first book in the trilogy is called "Brizzlehound".

Journey of a Bookseller said...

Brizzlehound will be fun because it's in the same world.

Ice Breaker also sounds interesting.

Hope to see copies available to review on both.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...