Saturday, September 15, 2012

Snakebite by Jonathan Mary-Todd

The world has become an unknown factor in a new life for the children.  They were just staying at the motel on their way to other places.  Then electricity died, fuel ran out, and their parents died.  Now they were on their own and the new world was not a friendly place.

Darby Creek (Lerner Publishing Group) and Net Galley allowed me to download an ebook of this story for review (thank you).  It will be published October 1st in paperback and ebook form.  Check with your local bookstore for a copy.

I almost didn't request this one.  I hate snakes.  I'm not real sure why.  Spiders and snakes are high on my list.  But I couldn't miss reading about a dystopian world and seeing how these children would handle life.

Snakes aside, this story still gave me the creeps.  The five children set out alone after all the adults have died.  They really have no idea where they are going.  They know cities are dangerous, they have to watch for animals and even humans are dangerous.  The reason they can survive is because they have a mountaineers' handbook that gives them guidance on survival techniques.  Even so, it's not enough to save them from other predators.

First, Hector gets bit by a snake.  It's not life threatening, but it does scar him.  Then they run into an adult who has a group of kids working as his gang.  They kill Martin, steal the smallest and injure the others.They go after Emma with no real hope she'll still be alive.  What they find is even more scary.

I found myself glued to this story.  The premise of the story is realistic; what they did for survival is believable.  And this story is not done, it's just beginning.  I'm going to watch for the next book in this series, After the Dust Settles.  It fascinates me.

Happy reading. 

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...