Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Bomb Built in Hell: Wesley's Story, Andrew Vachss

Andrew Vachss is an enigma.  He can write about men who have no soul, no conscience and are psychopaths and sound like it's from personal experience.  He's actually a lawyer who represents abused children and has seen some of the worst things in life already.  But he's nice man.  So how can he write about hellacious men who do terrible things with such a sense of accuracy?

Vintage Crime/Black Lizard and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity read this ebook for review (thank you).  It will be published November 13th, and you can grab a copy then if you're brave enough.

I've read Mr. Vachss books in the past.  His words keep my eyes glued to the story.  The stories make me uncomfortable, some horrify me, but I keep reading.  He has such a sense of authenticity in his writing that I keep reading to ensure something like this wouldn't happen to me.

Wesley had a brief appearance in one of this novels.  This is a prequel for him.  You learn how he developed into just what he is.  It's not a pleasant tale.  He's not been treated well, gets mentored by a Mafia bigwig in jail, and he carries on with the job he was hired for when he gets out.  There's no escape from death, but he doesn't really care.

Don't read this if you hate ugly death.  It is an interesting look at what the dark side considers honor and morals, though.  And, as much as I not want it to be, I think this story is real close to the truth in some circles.  If you want to read about life on the mean streets, this is a book for you.

Happy reading.    

1 comment:

Shan said...

I wish I could read this type of book just because of whom it is written by. I guess facing the uglies in his every day practice he can almost write from first hand account. Sounds like a very good read, if this is your style.

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...