Friday, October 5, 2012

Your Gift to Me by Bonnie Bartel Latino and Bob Vale

A death happens in Iraq and the widowed wife at home becomes broken and lost.  She's gathered herself together and has gone on with her life.  But can she let herself love another pilot?

The author sent me a copy of this book to review (thank you).  You can pick up a copy on Amazon now.

You'll need a box of Kleenex close by when you read this book.  Several things in the book brought me to tears.  I have to admit that reading about death during a war bothers me a bit because I have lost friends and classmates during the Vietnam war.  Some died during the war, some killed themselves after their return.  War is an ugly thing.

It was easy for me to understand why Emily didn't want to get involved with a pilot again.  Military men normally put their military life before their private life.  They can be good husbands, but they don't always come home in one piece or even alive.

The authors did a good job of showing the inner conflict she feels.  This story will tug at your heart.  The only thing that struck me as a little coincidental is that Emily's new flame is using her dead husband's words to woo her.  That was a bit much me.  It did tie into the story well, and explained why Emily was having the emotional trauma she did, but I think it could have been done more subtlety.

This was a good read with a good understanding of how the military works and how hard it can be to trust again after the loss of a spouse in such a traumatic way.  I enjoyed the read.  Why don't you try it and see what you think?

Happy reading.

1 comment:

Shan said...

Although it sounds like an interesting read, definitely too close to reality for me.

Benjamin Impossible by Timothy Root

It’s NOT EASY being the smartest 12-year-old in the world! Benjamin Impossible is a genius, kung fu master, and winner of the Franklin Count...