Friday, February 28, 2014

Magic in the Park by Ruth Chew

Jen didn't want to move to the city.  Living in Brooklyn was not all like living in the country.  The only good thing about it was that there was a park not far from home.

Random House Children's Books sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It has been published, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

This is one of Ruth Chew's "A Matter of Magic" books.  I had missed Ms. Chew's books when I was growing up.  When I began selling books, I ran across an old softcover of hers about magic.  Once I found out that was her subject matter, I was hooked!

While walking in Prospect Park, Jen meets Mike and they become friends.  It's more fun to walk around and explore together than alone.  They are both fascinated by an old man who is big friends with birds.  He's always covered in them.  He doesn't speak much, but he's kind.  He has a secret, though.  He's really a tree...

These are stepping stone books and written for ages 7-10.  They are a quick read, full of fantasy and she makes them entertaining.  Reading her work still makes me smile.  Why not share a classic story with your young one and introduce them to magic?

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...