Friday, April 4, 2014

The Crayon Box that Talked by Shane DeRolf, Michael Letzig (Illustrator)

I knew I was going to like this book before I started reading it.  I still have my crayons and I still color.  I may be old, but I don't have to grow up.

Random House Children's Books sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  You can grab a copy at your local bookstore now.

Mr. Letzig's illustrations are very colorful and he makes his crayons "human" in their actions.  That enhances the story line by Mr. DeRolf.

This story, while it's about crayons, is actually about people.  The crayons don't like each other and they talk about it.  One little girl hears them and takes that crayon box home.  She then uses the crayons to make pictures.  When she leaves the room, the crayons suddenly understand something.  Alone, they stand by themselves and act snooty.  When used together, they create beauty, make more than one color, and they can each admire another's contribution to the whole picture.

It's too bad people can't be like that.  The world would be a better place with more tolerance.  Why not share this book with your young one and help them understand colors don't matter.  It takes all of us to create beauty and kindness.

No comments:

The Affair at the Victory Ball by Agatha Christie

Young Lord Cronshaw is murdered at a masked ball, and his fiancée dies of a cocaine overdose later the same evening. Who was wearing which c...