Thursday, December 25, 2014

Little Hawk and the Lone Wolf: A Memoir by Raymond Kaquatosh

Little Hawk grew up in Wisconsin on an Indian Reservation.  This is his memoir about his life then and now.  I have Indian relatives who live in Yakima, Washington, but they don't live on a reservation.  This is a nice look at life in another state with a different background.

Wisconsin Historical Society Press and Edelweiss gave me the opportunity to read this book (thank you).  It has been published, so you can get a copy now.

Raymond does a nice job of telling his tale with no remorse.  Life is life and you take what you get.  I especially liked reading about his younger years.  He had a pet wolf, he made friends while he was away at school and his teachers practically adopted him.  He was away from his family but he still managed to be happy.

His war years reminded me of my family of veterans and their tales.  I was amazed by how long his wolf lived.  I was also amused by his stories of love and the potential for marriage.  I was about to fret for him in the romance department, but he finally found the right woman.

This is not a boring tale.  His sense of humor comes through, he deals with his losses as a man should and he's had a good life.  Why don't you take a little walk in the Indian life?

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...