Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Hinges Book One: Clockwork City by Meredith McClaren

She is a clockwork girl who picks an usual familiar for her own.  It doesn't take her long to find out that it's easy to get in trouble in the city of Cobble.

Image Comics and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published today, so you can find a copy now.

I love to read graphic novels, enjoy steampunk or clockwork stories and figured this book met both those desires. The graphics are lovely and remind me of Manga by their style. 

When Orio picks Bauble she's discouraged from taking that as her familiar but she knows she wants him.  You're supposed to pick your own, so off she goes with it.  Next they have to find her a job and they have a list of places that need someone.  Somehow Bauble seems to mess up any interview that Orio doesn't.  It's not looking very good.  Orio wants to mend but the powers to be say that's not where they need her.

I like the graphics but a lot of the book was without text and I wasn't even sure what was going on in several places.  It was fun to read but would be a bit more cohesive with more text.  I did like Orio and Bauble.  They were meant for each other.  I'd read another in this series to keep up with them and see if it made more sense to me.

Why don't you read it and tell me what you think?  Maybe I missed something obvious.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...