Thursday, May 28, 2015

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

What if your grandmother knew she was approaching death and gives you a mission to carry out after she's gone?  You grieve at what you've lost, but you have a job for the future so you can't give up.  Elsa has letters to deliver to the tenants of the apartment house.  She doesn't know or like them all, but she will do what she asked to do.

Atria Books and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published June 16th, so check with your local bookstore then.

Mr. Backman knows people.  He knows how they think, what they think, and how human we all are.  I read A Man Called Ove and really enjoyed it.  My grandparents had a big impact on my life and I enjoy reading about old people and their quirks.  This story also has a fairy tale involved, which is a bit different.  However, when the fairy tale comes to life, it's apparent that the grandmother was telling life stories from long ago that has led everyone to where they are today.  She took in the strays, those with hurts, or those who needed comfort.

This book is the story of her letters apologizing and explaining that they all must work to keep Elsa safe.  There is one person who is dangerous and it takes the whole apartment house unit to keep her safe.

The story jumps a bit from a fantasy to reality and as things become clear, it's amazing how things work out.  Elsa is a strong, opinionated little girl that is smart, too.  It takes her efforts to find the letters and deliver them and then she has to figure out how to help make it right.  I found myself caught up in the story and read longer than I should because I didn't want to put it down.  This author talks to me.  I wonder what he will write next?

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...