Sunday, October 18, 2015

Memphis Noir Edited by: Laureen P. Cantwell and Leonard Gill

This anthology reminds me of when I visited New Orleans.  It almost has the same smell, the same history, and the legends are alive here, too.  These are closer to horror stories than anything else.  It's an interesting read.

Akashic Books sent me a copy of this book to read for review (thank you).  It will be published November 3rd.

These are mean stories.  Voodoo, ghosts, guns, hatred, jealousy and greed play their part here.  There is no place for weakness here.

The Panama Limited is a tale of a train ride with the ghosts of love.  It might have the ride to hell, but it was a fascinating read.  Tell Him What You Want is the story of a woman who wanted to be left alone and did what she had to.  Somehow loving someone in Memphis might mean your death.  These two were my favorites.

Not all the stories are sad but most make you stop and think.  It even impressed me enough I'm not sure I'd want to visit Memphis.  Why don't you read it and tell me if it's good representation of the city or just a story.  I find most stories carry some truth in them.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...