Friday, April 29, 2016

Nebula Awards Showcase 2016 Edited by Mercedes Lackey

When you're talking about science fiction and fantasy, the annual collection of stories and excerpts from the Nebula Awards has to be at the forefront of what to read.  It introduces you to new authors, the type of story they write and you can be astounded by some of the tales.  No matter what you like, you should find some here.

Pyr Science Fiction and Fantasy sent me an ARC of this book to read for review (thank you).  It will be published May 3rd.

There are twenty stories here.  Some were so so, some really grabbed me.  One story I had read in another collection and I really liked it then, so I'll mention it again.  Jackalope Wives by Ursula Vernon is well worth a read.  I also found some others worthy of mention in this edition.

The excerpt from The Regular by Ken Liu was intriguing enough I want to read the book.  It was a simple transaction that turned fatal.  Why???

A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai'i was a story about vampires.  It won a Nebula Award.  I don't usually read about vampires but this one got my attention and was very well written.

Another Nebula winner was my favorite story of the future.  Yesterday's Kin by Nancy Kress was an excellent read.  Aliens come to earth and there's a batch of spores coming that will wipe out the population.  The humans work with the aliens trying to find an antidote.  When you read the end of the story it rings very true.  Humans can be very selfish...

If you want an interesting read with stories that will make you think, this book will do it for you.  Give it a try.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...