Thursday, December 8, 2016

Crimson Snow: A British Library Crime Classic by Martin Edwards

I'm a big fan of classic mystery stories and short stories, so I was glad to see this book.  I was not disappointed and you won't be either.  Got your cup of coffee or tea and ready to start?

Poisoned Pen Press and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published January 3rd.

Typical English short stories can be a bit dry and drab to me.  I think that's a difference in cultures.  Only a couple fit in that category in this collection.  The rest were all busy and interesting and had good mysteries.

I have noted three that I enjoyed the most.  If you're a mystery reader, I can almost guarantee you that you will enjoy them, too.

The Man with the Sack by Margery Allington has Mr. Campion in action and her stories are always good.

Death in December by Victor Gunn was also very good.  I don't recall reading his work before but I really liked this one.

The last one is the one I liked best in the whole book:  The Carol Singers by Josephine Bell.  Ms. Bell always writes very good mysteries and this one is no exception.  When the old woman is found dead in her home, there's no witness to the tragedy.  But what she did on the spur of the moment is what identifies her killers.  It's a twisted road to the answer but sometimes life is like that.

These all have a Christmas theme in some way or the other.  Death is not what one normally asks for at Christmas time, but death comes at any time of the year...

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...